Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"This is the Good Life"

As I was shopping in one of my favorite Christian Bookstores last night for a bible study, I ran over to the music department to look for some new music.(Yes, I do realize that I am one of the last remaining 20 somethings to actually pay full-price for a CD at a brick and mortar store). So as I was looking around and didn't really see anything I felt like wanting to buy, I thought.." for the first time ever, I think Im going to leave here and only purchase the one item I originally planned on purchasing." Then, just as suddenly as the realization had occurred to me, I turn the corner and what do I find? THE SALE RACK!! YES! I step over, and begin scoping out the titles of a pretty big selection of older CD's. Of course, my first thought was "I wonder if there are any Newsboys Cd's in here?" But upon further inspection I didn't see any. Then I find a diamond in the rough....another favorite band, Audio Adrenaline! (http://www.audioa.com/default.aspx). As I looked over the back cover, I decided this album was certainly worth its price. So, there you go, once again I check out from Mardel's with more than I had intended to buy. There certainly is no buyers remorse, because this morning I was certainly blessed by this one small purchase.

I wake up this morning, and have a feeling that it could be one of the tough days. As I get ready for work, I try to stay focused on the blessings I have and on how awesome it is to be able to know God. Then I start to recall a verse that the Lord has been placing in my path on a pretty regular basis. From quiet time, to conversations.........I have either seen, or heard Matthew 6:33 (But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.) on almost a daily basis over the last week, or so. Today, it floods my thoughts as I jump into the Chevy and head out to face the North Dallas traffic. As I normally do, I turn the ignition, and then turn up my music. For me, this is the only way to start the day off. Praise and worship have helped me so much in my walk, and I continue to lean on them in times of trouble, heart ache, and despair. I figure, one day, that is all Im going to want to do anyway, and even though I can't really sing or dance, I know that God is so happy when he sees us try. So, out of the driveway of the apartment complex I start changing the track, looking for that one song to start the day with, you know, the song that gets stuck in your head for the rest of day. I listen to one or two great songs, and then it happens!.........The first chorus rushes into my heart, and I find my heart just at such peace at that moment. I couldn't explain it, but I was just listening, and soaking up the words that seemed to be written just for me, at the time. The sound is called "Good Life" and although I am a fan of Audio Adrenaline, I don't think I had ever heard it before. Here are some of the lyrics:

Good Life by Audio Adrenaline

This is the good life
I've lost everything
I could ever want
And ever dream of

This is the good life
I found everything
I could ever need
Here in your arms

Loneliness has left me searching
For someone to love
Poverty has changed my view
Of what true riches are
Sorrow's opened up my eyes
To see what real joy is
Pain has been the catalyst
To my heart's happiness

I realized that I have changed so much since I have come to know how wonderful and fulfilling the Lord is. If it were possible for me to go back in time and meet myself three years ago, I would probably have persecuted myself when I saw the person I have become today. My wants, my desires, my dreams, I have lost them all, because of Christ, but what I have found after I let them go is Him, He has surpassed my wildest dreams. Loneliness, Poverty, Sorrow, and Pain have all been a part of getting me where I am. Without any one of these difficult parts of life, I don't think I would have fallen so deeply in love with the bountiful blessings, peace, and love of Christ. How could I? I wouldn't have as great of an understanding of how truly sufficient his grace is.

I have found out what it means to live the good life, and all the ideas and thoughts I used to hold as so important and so dear, are now vague and hazy memories of the person I used to be. As Paul states, "But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ." Philippians 3:7. How do I continue on this path of following the lord through difficulties, hurts, pains, and sufferings, that sometimes goes with this worldly body? I think the answer falls in this verse, "..seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you." This, I am learning is the only true way to experience the good life, and what a good life it is!

No comments: