Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Have Issues



This past weekend I focused on relaxing a bit. Saturday was a great day because my Sunday School class headed out to celebrate the class birthdays for May. After eating dinner, we all headed over to Dave and Buster's to play some games. The above picture is me playing "Gone Fishing" which involves a polar bear hitting some type of large fish with a club! It was a great time. What I wanted to mention about Saturday was that I decided to wear a shirt that I had been saving for a situation such as this. It was one I purchased in Beaumont a few weeks back, and when I saw it, I immediately knew it would be a great people watching and analyzing tool. You see the shirt, which you can't really see in the picture, is a white t-shirt that has three words in dark black on the front chest. The shirt simply says " I Have Issues". Not only do I feel this is an incredibly honest statement when I am wearing it, but I also feel that everyone on this planet can relate to this in one way or another. Which of course, is why I saved wearing this shirt for a time when I would be around complete strangers for most of the day. As expected, I received many comments, glances, and remarks all day long. I had more than one conversation regarding the commonality of issues. For me, the shirt was not a way to show off, or be noticed, as much as it was a way for me to observe others. While many people see me, and the things I do sometimes as immature and sometimes irrational, what many don't realize is that usually my actions are simply a way for me to observe re-actions of those around me. Why do this? It gives me a much better perspective sometimes of where a person is really at. Catching people off guard can allow you to see past the mask and covering of "issues", and into the person's unguarded self. To me, this is the place I want to be with every relationship I have. Past all the masks and cover ups, into the authenticity of the people I care about. I try to connect with people in a way that shows I truly do care and relate, and this is authentic, not manufactured, no matter who they are or where they have been. So, if I have to make a fool of myself in order to reach someone who is hurting, then so be it. After all, I can use all the humility I can get sometimes. The flesh is constantly battling pride, and reminding myself that I am only a fellow servant on this Earth and nothing else, is a consistent need. Hope all had a great Memorial Day!

3 comments:

gaela renee said...

i have issues too!!! ;-) sounds like fun. i'm hoping to get my class to d&b soon. guess i should get that on the calendar seeing as i am the social coordinator. haha!

JoshuaLeeSmith said...

thanks Gaela,
I tried to respond on your blog, but I don't have a screen name! So, hopefully you'll see this! Let me know about D & B with Transit! Awesome!

gaela renee said...

aw...boo. i wish you could comment. i know some other people who don't normally have a hotmail account do comment, but maybe they know something i don't! i think we're gonna do D&B later in june!!