Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Am I really an Adult?

Today I was just looking around my cube, and I think it is safe to say that it is official, "I am a grown man!" I am out of school, I have a full-time job, and I wash all my own dishes, clothes, and rooms in my apartment. As I sat and absorbed this for a minute, I realized this is the point of life that I have wanted to be at from the time I was about ten years old. My dream was to be out there on my own, independent, earning my own living, and making my own decisions. Well, that time has arrived, and boy did it sneak up on me quickly. I guess the old saying that time only goes by faster as you get older still holds true. So, I sat and asked myself today, How do you feel about being an adult? Is it everything you had hoped it would be? After hesitating for only a split second I decided "YES! YES IT IS!" All the long days in school, all the years of waiting to graduate, all the many decisions along the way, yes I would say that I am certainly very happy that I am a grown up, and I wouldn't trade it. So for everyone under the age of 22 reading this right now, yes, it is just as great as you would imagine it is. One thing is for certain, when James speaks that our lives are "but a vapor" it certainly makes sense. Suddenly, I find myself in my mid 20's, but still feel as though my life is some how only beginning.

Now the great thing about getting older is not just the responsiblity increasing, but each that passes is one day closer to Heaven! To many reading this I may sound as though Im on some type of drug or something, but in reality it is that I just have such happiness when I think that the small amount of time we are given on this Earth is so so short in comparison to eternity. The small glimpses we get of Heaven while living in the fallen World will pale in comparison to the life above with the Lord. It is so intriguing to sit and ponder eternity sometimes, what exact will it look like, who will I know there? Will we all sing and praise and worship all the time? I know that we still have a job to do down here, and that our focus should be on the moment in front of us, but man, how great, no more pain suffering, and sorrow.........sure sounds great to me. As I was listening to my bible on tape in the car today, I was listening to the last few chapters in Acts, and heard this: Paul was standing trial in Caesarea, and the Jews wanted to kill him, in one of his defense remarks he states, "If then I am a wrongdoer and have committed anything for which I deserve to die, I do not seek to escape death." Acts 25: 11 It just kinda hit me, Paul knew what awaited him after death, and he was so sure of this, that he would willingly be put to death if he was justly found to be guilty. I was asking myself, WHAT A DEFENSE! Not only does it exude the fact that he was confident he had done nothing wrong, but more importantly it exudes his confidence in his faith! A defense and a testimony! So anyway, Paul was most certainly the man. I know all this seems to be rambling, but hopefully the underlying point is made that Heaven is going to be AWESOME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, sadly, indeed it was 6 1/2 years. :(

And I certainly don't think of *myself* as an adult yet. Who knows when that will happen. LOL!