Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Love and Acceptance

Yesterday I was busy running errands: running to the dry cleaners, washing the truck, and grabbing dinner, when I realized how busy the world around me seemed. Everyone was basically doing the same thing I was; trying to get all the daily activities crammed into the remaining hours left before they fall asleep. Noone really pays much attention to anyone or anything else around them. We were all in a comatose state zoned into whatever trivial task was set before us at the moment. Then I began to realize, noone hardly talks to each other. Its just person after person hurrying on the way to get the day over with.

With all this in mind I began to ask, what is it that people are looking for in life? Surely, this that I see in front of me is not what the Lord had intended for us. So as I drove along in my truck two words came to my mind: love and acceptance. My peer group and those directly younger than me are so used to walking around in a shell of silence, that they have forgotten what it feels like to be loved and accepted! Just saying hello to someone and trying to start a small conversation based on the observable things around them can bring a smile to a person's face faster than anything I have ever seen. People are in desperate need to be seen, acknowledge, and noticed in this fast-paced ultra competitive world we call home. All our lives we have been taught about independence and self-sufficiency to the point that I think we see everyone else around us as a competitor, instead of a person. With just a little change of perspective the world can become so much more interesting and accepting. After all, no two people on the planet were given the same exact life, so why not take a few minutes to see life from someone else's shoes?

No comments: