Monday, May 15, 2006

Happenings as I Drove Home

I made it home in one piece this weekend, although there was almost too much alone time! Almost, but not quite. As predicted there were certainly more than enough one sided conversations with myself. There were also some exciting happenings along the drive that I certainly want to make mention of.

First, after I left work on Friday, happily driving down to pick up my nice, shiny NEON (which was actually kind of fun to drive) ( yes, I have issues) the trip was close to being cut short. As always, I was driving my truck with one hand on the steering wheel, while talking on the phone and shifting gears with the other, when suddenly, I look up, and see a queen size mattress disconnect from the El Camino in front of me, and come flying like a mad albatross straight for my truck's grill. Now, while many would consider this a rather disconcerting experience, all I remember thinking is, ( keep in mind, still talking on the phone) "this is going to be interesting". I had no time to react, and before I knew it, I had run straight over the top of the mattress. Whew! Glad that was over, no harm no foul, right? WRONG! As I pressed oh so cautiously on the gas pedal of the truck, I notice the horsepower just wasn't there. I glanced over at my mirrors, and low and behold what do I find? I was dragging a mattress along the side of my truck by my back passenger tire. Hum! What to do in a situation such as this? There were a couple of options from which to chose: 1. Pull over, 2. Speed Up and pray it comes disconnected 3. Continue on the path I was going, and drive the mattress to the house and keep it. (I need a new mattress too!). Well, after a short moment of processing I decided option one was probably the best route to take. So, I pulled over (as did the El-Camino) and I proceeded to look at the damage. It should be noted that a really nice guy in a jeep behind me also pulled over to inspect the renegade mattress fiasco as well. So what did I find? One of the mattress springs had decided it would be fun to wrap around my strut! Fun Fun. So, long story short, after 20 minutes of driving back and forth over the mattress, me my new best friend in the jeep, and the el Camino crew manage to get the mattress released from its death grip on my truck. Now the funny part about all this is the way I cut short my phone conversation (obviously, I needed to see about the mattress, and I figured my full attention would be needed for this project) Best I can remember it went something like this: "Hey, uh, I don't mean to interrupt you, but I just ran over a mattress, and I think it is stuck to my truck", the other side of the phone, "....."huh? okay, right." "bye"..."bye".

To be continued.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I posted a message, I am just not sure where. So I thought I might give it another shot!!! Great blog. It is so exciting to see that God is making good use of you. HaHa. Well, I certainly enjoyed visiting with you recently. As I said in my comment that is never to be found, It is great to know that God uses people in our lives for very SPECIFIC reasons and even better to see why these people were so intricately placed in our lives (mine specifically, just in case you wanted to know!). Hope this finds you well.