Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Happenings as I Drove Home Part 2

Continued from Monday.......

So, after removing said mattress from the underbelly of my truck, I proceeded on to the car rental place. After a few minutes, I was on the road! All was well the rest of the way home, and really, I didn't think much else of the mattress incident. That is, until I was headed back to Dallas on Sunday!

As I reached the outskirts of Huntsville Texas, I was driving down a small backroad and focusing very deeply on the emotional baggage that I wanted to "leave on the side of the road" when suddenly, I look up and see a small sign. "Sam Houston Grave Site"--------->. Really, If I hadn't been looking directly at that place at that moment, I would probably have driven right by without being any wiser. But, as I passed, my mind started tossing around these words "Sam Houston Grave Site". So in a matter of seconds, my mind takes the information, and processes it. Sam Houston was one of Texas's Heros. From what I remember about third grade Texas History he was a very important man to Texas gaining its independence. Bottom line is that for a Texan, this man is a legend. So, I thought......I would like to see the grave site of a Texas Legend, I bet there is an elaborate display, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a line of people just sitting there staring at this grave site! Exciting stuff! So, I very swiftly maneuvered my Neon around the block and headed in the direction the arrow on the sign was pointing. A couple of turns later, I find myself parked in front of this somewhat large monument (Id say about 8 or 9 feet tall), that had an etching of Sam Houston on it. I get out of Neon (by this time the car and I were on a first name basis), and I walk around to the front of this memorial. There I find the grave of a Texas Legend. As I stood there, I just got the realization that really after all this man had accomplished in his life, and after all the history books had been written, here he is. So much about him has faded over time, an now I would venture to say that outside of Texas you would probably have a difficult time finding people who have even heard of him. Basically, I was blessed in that moment. I realized that in this life no matter what we accomplish, no matter what we do, in a matter of years, few people, if any, will remember us. But, while we are on this Earth, we have the opportunity every day to make an eternal impact on the lives of those around us that will not fade and erase over time, but will last forever. Needless to say, this little detour had provided me a great perspective that will be with me for years.

In closing, I wanted to wrap up with some of things the Lord showed me through my two somewhat unexpected turns while driving this weekend.

Number one, as we walk through our life we can be confronted with unexpected flying mattresses that we have little or no time to react to. Even in those moments when we don't know what's going to happen, or what is going to become of this event, the Lord can place blessings in our life to help, that we would never expect (my new friend in the jeep)!
So, was the reason I was attacked by a mattress because of the trial, or because of the blessing of seeing a perfect stranger take the time to care. I don't know. It could be both or neither.

Number two, sometimes when we get so focused on working through our faith (dropping emotional baggage), that we might miss the road sign pointing towards a blessing!

Hope all are blessed today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word.

Leon V. Green