Thursday, October 05, 2006

Grace

I thought a bunch today about grace. I think that sometimes I don't take near enough time to ponder this amazing gift from the Lord. How much love does he have for us, how much does he forgive?

As I sat and reflected on the things in my life that I have done to hurt myself, others, and the Lord, I just became so thankful for His grace. He saves us even though we crucified Him. He loves us, even though we beat Him and killed Him. He loved us before we ever began down a path of sin, and pride that day in and day out is spitting in his face. He loved us, loves us now, and will forever love us and forgive us. We go through the battle each day, and sometimes we fall, sometimes we stand, and sometimes we just "be", but his grace is so great, and his love so deep, that he forgives the failures, and looks path the apathy. We are so unworthy of what He gives us, and yet at times we sit and beg for more, more, more. Isn't grace enough? The fact that he reaches down into nothing, and pulls us out and loves us so deeply, forgetting how wretched we are, and how many times we have, and will continue to stab him in the back with our actions, motivations, and devotions?

Yesterday I read this verse from Paul:

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

Acts 20:24

If only we could start living life with such an attitude, get past all our wants, and quit holding ourselves up as something that is "worthy" of anything, because we are not. To view our life as not having any value outside of Jesus, and glorifying Him, because He is really the only one worthy of anything.

Instead of this, we get in a place where we feel we deserve, or are due, or should not be facing a certain circumstance. If only we could start looking at ourselves as not worthy of anything we have already been given by Christ, and therefore can only live in debt to Him for something we could never repay, by focusing only on giving all that we are back to Him and realizing it is not nearly enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Well put, I couldn't agree more!