Monday, March 05, 2007

Resist the devil

Submit yourself therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7

What does it mean to resist? I think that it involves more work than we at first want to think about. When you resist something, it is not as simple as a wayward "no". It usually has a repetitive tone to it, more along the lines of...no, No, NO, NO NO NO NO NO! I remember back in high school, the idea of resisting offers of this, and ideas of doing that, was not simply a matter of a simple "no". Usually, it was a constant barrage of questions, and continued petitions, until the point got clearly communicated....."I am not going there". A passive, unagressive stance would usually result in a reinforced response followed by constant pressure in order to push me in a firm direction of "yes" or "no". I think in my view of Satan's dealing it is much the same way.

He will push and push and push, he won't simply turn his back on his desire to break you down with a simple response. He is looking to "devour" like a lion. I have never had the misfortune to have to resist a physical lion, but I would bet that the blood hungry, huge, beast wouldn't turn it's back and flee if I looked at it half heartedly and said..."Hey, Mr. Lion, no, I am not interested in fighting you or anything difficult like that, so why don't you please turn around and leave me alone, is that, cool?" Nah, I think I might have a limb missing after a conversation like that.....

So how do I handle a lion that wants to devour me? More than likely I'm going to have to dig in...face him head on, and prove to him that he will not over power me, and that in the end, he will be wasting his energy and effort. After a battle, where he has gained no ground, he will eventually realize the power behind my stance, and give up. Then he will flee. The battle will be over after much intense struggle, and testing to prove that I won't give an inch, not one inch to him. That will not be without work, and pain, and struggle, but in the end......after he flees, I will stand in a place of victory over his schemes.....and will be able to return to fight another day.

"Do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you." 1 Peter 4:12

Got hit pretty hard this morning....so just getting my thought out...hope this encourages!

-J

No comments: