Friday, June 23, 2006

Just a Note or Two

First thing is first, I am changing my e-mail address! For all of those who currently e-mail me (that would be the one or two of you out there) please change my address from the current joshualeesmith@sbcglobal.net to the new and improved (also FREE)

smith.joshualee@yahoo.com

I have e-mailed my address book with this change, but if for some reason I missed you, please take note, AFTER JULY SBC will no longer be active! (This is due, to me being tired of paying the bill on DSL!)

Okay on to the blog today!


So, now that my six month grace period for school loans is up, I am facing my first payment in July. As I stare at the due date, I realize that it is certainly time to start trying to budget a little better.

My first attempt at this new "budgeting experience" is to cut down on my infamous eating out. For some reason this has turned into quite the expensive habit! So upon generating ideas from friends, I have come to the conclusion that I should go buy some groceries! Well, I finally turned my truck into the Wal-Mart parking lot on Sunday, with the expectation of saving some major cash. As I walked down the isles I determined that I needed to buy easy, quick and cheap items in order to save time and money! So my first thoughts turned to Eggs, and Tuna Fish! (Not together of course, eggs for breakfast, Tuna for lunch). I walk up to the tuna isle and proceed to stack 16 cans of that wonderful processed fish product into my basket. Feeling quite content that I had enough protein to feed a small army, and only having spent about $10.00 I headed to buy bread....Two loaves of the generic wheat for under a buck a piece will do. Then onto the eggs, by this point I was sure that I had this shopping thing all figured out, and was not going to get roped into spending more than was absolutely necessary. Oh wait, Pringles sound good, two cans only a buck a piece woo-hoo! I sure would like some Orange Juice to go with my eggs, and what about fruit, yea fruit is always good. So, I head all the way back to the front of the grocery isle, and look through the apples before deciding on two golden apples and two granny smith apples, and 5 bananas! "Do I have any Mayonnaise in the fridge?" Don't know, Tuna sure will be dry without mayonnaise, alright, Ill buy the small jar.......Wait what about dinner?!! Oh yea, I can just eat Tuna!! That's Genius! I can see the dollars I am saving adding up by the moment. Ah man, I forgot that I need tooth paste, Is tooth paste really this expensive.....Hey what's this, some new mouth wash, hey it fights cavity, and fortifies teeth! and its a cool blue peppermint ah what the heck! Ill try it out. I sure am glad I don't have to buy razors today, those things are like expensive!

On to check out...I think Im going to make it out of this place pretty cheap today, but no more point of sale purchases! I already bit the dust on the orange juice, fruit, mayonnaise, and mouthwash! So here I go, if I can just make it through the check out line I will be golden, and....now I am loading the tuna, "man, did I really need all this tuna?", and the bread, fruit, mayonnaise, oran..ge....juice, "hey, I should buy some gum! I DID IT AGAIN!" So then I pay and leave! (Yes, I did buy the gum)

1 comment:

gaela renee said...

the student loan 6 mo. grace period is a joke!

yeah...grocery shopping will get you every time!!